This eco-friendly certification standard will help you shop for sustainable latex bedding
You’re an eco-conscious consumer and you want to know where your favorite home goods come from. Are they sold by companies who source and manufacture products in ethical and environmentally sound ways? Do they label their products in ways that are clear and easy to understand?
Unfortunately, not all manufacturers or retailers make it easy to be green. By learning about organic certification standards like GOLS, you can become a savvier shopper.
A brief introduction to latex mattress toppers
Latex mattress toppers are the eco-friendliest of the bedding bunch. This is because unlike memory or polyurethane foam, latex toppers aren’t made from petroleum byproducts, which aren’t sustainable. Organic and natural latex rubber are a renewable resource that make for a durable, comfortable, and sustainable mattress topper.
But did you know that 100% natural latex is not always organic? (Check out our guide that explains the differences.) This is why seeking out and understanding certification standards set by independent organizations is so important. Arming yourself with this information helps you make informed decisions.
For example, you might do fine with a 100% natural latex mattress topper, or you might feel that a certified organic latex topper is more important. Here’s the scoop on GOLS certification and what it means when a latex bedding product is GOLS-certified, so you can shop with confidence.
What does GOLS certification mean?
GOLS is the first-ever worldwide standard for organic latex. Established by the independent certification group Control Union, GOLS stands for Global Organic Latex Standard.
GOLS sets standards for latex goods made from 100% organic latex. This means the latex is harvested from rubber trees at certified organic plantations that don’t use chemical pesticides. These farming practices are better for the environment.
These standards also monitor latex products produced after the latex leaves a rubber plantation. Some latex mattress toppers can include non-organic materials, like certain fillers used for stabilization or to save costs. In order to be GOLS-certified, however, the vast majority of a mattress topper–95%–must be made from certified organic raw latex. The GOLS certification standard also strictly monitors the remaining 5% of material needed to produce latex foam.
This underscores why it’s important to read labels when shopping for eco-friendly and healthy bedding items. Look for a GOLS certification label and a guarantee that a bedding accessory is made from 100% organic latex, which means earth friendly farming practices and no fillers or other added compounds.
Who can receive GOLS certification?
GOLS certification was established to ensure sustainable and humane practices are followed. Approved manufacturers must follow specific social and environmental requirements, like safe working conditions, reasonable work hours, and resource conservation practices.
Go forth and shop organic with confidence
Now you know why GOLS certification for latex bedding items like pillows, toppers, and mattresses is important. Take that knowledge and feather your nest with confidence, knowing that GOLS-certified organic latex bedding accessories are indeed the best eco-friendly choice.