What is Sleep Hygiene?
You may already know that sleep and well-being are interconnected. Your body goes through several sleep cycles each night to get adequate rest, and constant interruptions to those cycles can leave you feeling tired. If the quality or quantity of rest you’re getting could use some improvement, it might be due to poor sleep hygiene — and we don’t mean showering before bedtime.
What is sleep hygiene? This phrase refers to a combination of habits and routines that set you up for successful sleep.
Here are some tips for establishing good sleep hygiene to help you get better rest and wake up feeling refreshed each day.
Sleep Hygiene Means Healthy Sleep Habits
According to the American Alliance for Healthy Sleep, sleep hygiene is “a series of healthy sleep habits that improve your ability to fall asleep and stay asleep.”
While winding down before bedtime after a busy day seems like common sense, there are some habits and routines you can adopt to encourage better rest.
Tips to establish or improve your sleep hygiene
- Try to maintain a consistent sleep schedule by keeping to the same bedtime and waking times.
- Limit exposure to bright light—adding blackout curtains and window shades can help.
- Avoid brightly lit environments or screens at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
- Avoid having any beverages too close to bedtime to keep from waking in the night to use the bathroom. Especially avoid alcohol and caffeine, which can disrupt sleep.
- If you’re struggling to fall asleep after 20 minutes, get up and do something else that feels calming. Try some of Naturally Nestled’s seven tips to fall asleep fast.
- Consider a white noise machine or meditation app to encourage a calming and restful entry into sleep.
- Take time to make your bedroom environment as cozy and calming as possible.
Sleep Hygiene Also Involves Setting Up a Sleep-Friendly Environment
The Sleep Foundation states that sleep hygiene encompasses both sleep habits and environment. This offers an excellent excuse to make your bedroom into a comfy, cozy, sleep-friendly haven.
If your bedding comfort could use an upgrade, Naturally Nestled can help. Start with Naturally Nestled organic latex pillows enveloped in luxurious organic cotton covers. Our natural or organic latex mattress toppers come in various thickness and firmness options to customize your bedtime comfort.
What to Do When Sleep Hygiene Doesn’t Improve Sleep Quality or Duration
Some people find that even after establishing good sleep hygiene habits, routines, and environments that they still struggle to get adequate rest. If that’s the case, see your healthcare provider to rule out any medical issues.